Transdermal methyl alcohol intoxication: A case report
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHızarcı, B., Erdoğan, C., Karaaslan, P., Ünlükaplan, A. ve Öz, H. (2015). Transdermal methyl alcohol intoxication: A case report. Acta Dermato-Venereologica, 95(6), 740-741. https://dx.doi.org/10.2340/00015555-2043
Methyl alcohol (methanol) is a colourless, odourless and bitter substance found in solvents, paint removers, varnishes, antifreezes, cologne and grain alcohol (1). Methanol is a central nervous system depressant that is potentially toxic after its ingestion, inhalation or transdermal exposure (1–4). Most of the patients have headache, nausea, vomiting, weakness and vision loss during this period. As a result of high intake, the patient presents with stupor, coma and even death. Although methanol intoxication is most frequently reported due to oral intake, cases of inhalation and transdermal methanol intoxication are reported as well (5). In this paper we report a rare case of transdermal methanol intoxication. We suggest that transdermal toxication should be considered and questioned whilst taking the medical history of a patient.