A rare case of transdermal methanol intoxication
Üst veriTüm öğe kaydını göster
KünyeKaraoğlu, U., Sarıhan, A. ve Bulut, M. (2017). A rare case of transdermal methanol intoxication. Journal of Emergency Medicine Case Reports, 8(3), 52-54. https://dx.doi.org/10.5152/jemcr.2016.1795
Introduction: Methanol is a clear, colorless, and highly toxic liquid which is a common component of antifreeze solutions, paints, varnishes, gasoline mixtures, and various solvents. Even though methanol is used only in industry, when ingested accidentally or for suicide it may cause methanol intoxication which has high mortality rates. Methanol intoxication is generally seen after accidental or suicidal oral intake. Methanol can be absorbed by inhalation or through the skin, which rarely leads to clinical toxicity. Case Report: Herein, we present a case of methanol intoxication associated with absorption through the skin which is one of the rare ways of poisoning. We aim to emphasize that methanol intoxication rarely occurs after dermal exposure. Conclusion: Emergency department physicians must consider methanol intoxication in patients of high anion gap metabolic acidosis with visual symptoms even if the patient has no history of oral intake.